Thursday, December 20, 2012

Craftsy Block of the Month - July





We all know the old saying "Christmas in July" - what about July in Christmas?  It just doesn't have the same ring, but somehow that is where I am at currently.

One of my main goals for this year was to finish my very first quilt while participating in the Craftsy Block of the Month class with instructor Amy Gibson from Stitchery Dickory Dock.  The class is great and I have learned so much!

The July blocks used a Dresden template which is a pretty traditional quilting method. I am pretty sure most of us have seen this before whether we have quilted or not. 

I'll tell you a secret, for being such a beautiful block, it is easy!!  I did make a few mistakes along the way - in my rush to finish the block shown above was only supposed to have 20 petals.  I cut too many and planned to take out the ones that didn't look right, but forgot!  I ended up having to make a larger circle for the middle to compensate.


In the class the second block is a more modern Dresden which ends up being a large wheel shape.  I understood the concept but really wasn't so fond of the final product.  I ended up making another standard Dresden block but only used two alternating colors.  Since this block reminds me of a flower I have nicknamed this my "he loves me" - "he loves me not" block.

The instructor also encourages you to play around with your stitching types. So, while the top was hand appliqued the bottom block was put together (sorry picture is somewhat blurry) with a zig-zag stitch. 

Keep your fingers crossed for my success! I am currently halfway through the August blocks with September and October to go before I start stitching them all together and finish up the quilt.  Can I get this all done before January! - I guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment