Thursday, January 23, 2014

January Pattern - Fail


Caught On A Whim on Pinterest.

I wish I had a huge success story to begin the new year, but I don't. Looking on the bright side it is good to find time to sew and develop a process that works for me. This tutorial ended up being a fail for me - for a number of reasons. The first is that I just didn't like the way my (wearable) muslin was looking on me. I wish I had pictures to show you but to be honest since my number one goal is getting things accomplished in the short amount of time I do have I didn't finish it. I have a basket on my cutting table that has recent scraps of fabric. My cat Frosty likes to sit in this basket and was excited to see such a nice scrap making it into her "bed".

I really should have read through the tutorial before committing myself. I don't like the way the seam finishes, and I think I would prefer to have a zipper instead of it being a pull-over. There are also some corrections that need to be made to the tutorial. These are all things that an experienced seamstress would read, notice and change as they are making the garment. So, if you feel this suits your tastes - don't worry about that. I am not bashing it. It just isn't for me.

I even contemplated using the pieces as a rough base to draft my own pattern. But there are so many simple peplum top tutorials and patterns out there. I am confident there is one that fits my needs already.

This year I really want to focus on the details of garment construction and adding some well crafted, lovable stapels to my closet. I am glad I used some cheaper fabric to make a muslin because this wasn't going to fill that need.

For now, I am focusing on some WIP's I have that I will be able to complete in short order and getting a jump start on February. Have you had any sewing dissapointments lately and what did you learn from them?





1 comment:

  1. All the time! You would not believe how many unfinished projects I have laying around. They sit for years sometimes until the mood strikes me to either fix errors or chop them up for another project. I feel yucky just thinking about how many there are in my craft closet right now...

    ReplyDelete